Skip to main content

Willamette University Memorabilia collection

 Collection
Identifier: WUA101

Scope and Contents

The Willamette University Memorabilia collection includes a variety of items collected over the course of the university's history. These include lettermen sweaters and jackets; sports uniforms; artifacts from buildings such as bricks and plaques; glassware; commemorative medals and coins; freshman beanies; the first Blitz mascot costume; and a variety of other objects.

Dates

  • 1867 - 2016

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

Library acts as “fair use” reproduction agent.

For further information, see the section on copyright in the Regulations and Procedures of the Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.

Copyright Information: Before material from collections at Willamette University Archives and Special Collections may be quoted in print, or otherwise reproduced, in whole or in part, in any publication, permission must be obtained from (1) the owner of the physical property, and (2) the holder of the copyright. It is the particular responsibility of the researcher to obtain both sets of permission. Persons wishing to quote from materials in any collections held by University Archives and Special Collections should consult the University Archivist. Reproduction of any item must contain a complete citation to the original.

Biographical / Historical

In 1834, Jason Lee and fellow missionaries came to the Oregon territory to establish a Methodist mission for Kalapuya Indians living in the Willamette Valley. By the early 1840s, the mission was failing, thus the educational focus for the school turned to white settlers. On February 1, 1842, Lee, fellow missionaries, and members of the growing Salem community decided to establish an institution of learning called the "Oregon Institute." The Institute's constitution was adopted in March 1842, and the first day of class was held on August 13, 1844. The Institute began as a boarding school to educate young students. Chloe Clark Willson, an early member of the missionary group was the first teacher.

In 1853, focus changed to an older set of students and the name was officially changed to Willamette University. Emily York was the first graduate of the University in 1859. By that time, enrollment had reached 320 students and a new building was needed to house a growing student population. Thus began the construction of Waller hall, made possible by the support of Reverend Alvan Waller. In addition to the College of Liberal Arts, Willamette University established a medical school in 1867, the College of Law in 1883, the Kimball School of Theology in 1906, the Atkinson Graduate School of Management in 1974, and the Graduate School of Education in 1995. The Medical School merged with the University of Oregon in 1913, the Kimball School closed in 1930, and the Graduate School of Education closed in 2014.

Willamette continues as a nationally renowned, private liberal arts university focused on pursuing academic excellence; fostering diversity; and preparing global-minded students.

Extent

32 Linear Feet

Overview

The Willamette University Memorabilia collection includes a variety of items collected over the course of the university's history, including lettermen sweaters and jackets, sports uniforms, artifacts from buildings, glassware, freshman beanies, the first Blitz mascot costume, and a variety of other objects.

Physical Location

Mark O. Hatfield Library

Custodial History

Items in this collection have been compiled by Archives and Special Collections through donations from students, alumni, faculty, staff, and transfers from within the University. Where possible, the identity of the donor is specified for the item or groups of items.

Creator

Title
Willamette University Memorabilia collection, 1867-2016
Status
In Progress
Author
Amber J. D'Ambrosio
Date
2017
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Willamette University Archives and Special Collections Collection Descriptions

Contact:
Mark O. Hatfield Library
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 United States