Skip to main content

Kimball School of Theology records

 Collection
Identifier: WUA045

Scope and Contents

The Kimball School of Theology papers contains business records, Board of Education and Trustees correspondence, correspondence with various members of the faculty, school bulletins and catalogs, alumni association records and minutes of the student association. There are also folders of Dr. Kimball’s sermon and lecture notes and a copy of the school commencement song.

Dates

  • 1906-1930

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

These papers are open to researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

Library acts as “fair use” reproduction agent.

For further information, see the section on copyright in the Regulations and Procedures of the Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.

Copyright Information: Before material from collections at Willamette University Archives and Special Collections may be quoted in print, or otherwise reproduced, in whole or in part, in any publication, permission must be obtained from (1) the owner of the physical property, and (2) the holder of the copyright. It is the particular responsibility of the researcher to obtain both sets of permission. Persons wishing to quote from materials in any collections held by University Archives and Special Collections should consult the University Archivist. Reproduction of any item must contain a complete citation to the original.

Biographical / Historical

The Kimball College of Theology of Willamette University was organized by the University Trustees on January 31, 1906 with the election of Henry D. Kimball, D.D. as Dean. The school building, located on the campus of the university, was dedicated October 1, 1906. To provide greater independence, the college was incorporated as an independent institution December 4, 1907 and on May 21, 1918 supplementary articles of incorporation were filed in the state offices, changing the name from Kimball College of Theology to Kimball School of Theology.

The aim of the college, according to the first bulletin, was to “assist young men who seem called to the Christian ministry to qualify themselves for their great work…Those of either sex who desire to fit themselves for larger usefulness in Christian work will be admitted to all class privileges upon the same terms as candidates for the ministry.” In the 1920s Kimball added a M.A. in Theology to the degree offerings.

Finances were always challenging, due in part to the school’s small endowment and the fact that other schools of Theology were coming to the West Coast. The Kimball Board finally decided to close the school in June, 1930. The hope, at the time, was to reopen to school when financial considerations were more favorable, but this never happened.

Extent

3 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Overview

The Kimball School of Theology papers contain business records, Board of Education and Trustees correspondence, correspondence with various members of the faculty, school bulletins and catalogs, alumni association records and minutes of the student association.

Arrangement

Materials are arranged in alphabetical order.

Physical Location

Mark O. Hatfield Library

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Created by Kimball School of Theology, 1906-1930

Related Materials

The Robert M. Gatke Research Collection; The Edwin A. Sherwood “Land of the Rhine” Lantern Slides and Lecture Notes collection
Title
Guide to the Kimball School of Theology records, 1906-1930
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid processed by Rose Marie Walter.
Date
© 2013
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Willamette University Archives and Special Collections Collection Descriptions

Contact:
Mark O. Hatfield Library
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 United States