Skip to main content

Willamette University Medical Department records

 Collection
Identifier: WUA057

Scope and Contents

The collection contains the Medical Department catalogues and annual announcements for the years 1870-1910. It also contains copies of the Oregon Medical & Surgical Reporter, a medical journal published by the Willamette University Medical Department, from 1869-1871.

The medical journal was established by the Willamette University medical faculty in 1869. The editors were Dr. Fiske and Dr. Carpenter with faculty as publishers. Vol. 1 was published in November, 1869 with the state purpose of furthering the best interests of the medical profession in Oregon. The original intention was that the Willamette University medical faculty would provide the majority of the articles, but they were too small and overworked a group to continue this practice. In addition, paid subscribers were few, so the publication was discontinued in 1871.

Dates

  • 1863-1910

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

Library acts as “fair use” reproduction agent.

For further information, see the section on copyright in the Regulations and Procedures of the Willamette University Archives and Special Collections.

Copyright Information: Before material from collections at Willamette University Archives and Special Collections may be quoted in print, or otherwise reproduced, in whole or in part, in any publication, permission must be obtained from (1) the owner of the physical property, and (2) the holder of the copyright. It is the particular responsibility of the researcher to obtain both sets of permission. Persons wishing to quote from materials in any collections held by University Archives and Special Collections should consult the University Archivist. Reproduction of any item must contain a complete citation to the original.

Biographical / Historical

Willamette University organized a Medical Department as part of the university in 1867. The school opened with 24 students led by Dr. Horace Carpenter. In 1874, the school had 14 students and 11 professors. Women were attending the school of medicine by 1877 and the department was located in University [now Waller] Hall.

In 1880 the Medical Department, now called the College of Medicine, moved to Portland, stating the need for better facilities. However, the school returned to Willamette University in 1895 where it was housed in Waller Hall and other buildings. In 1906 the school moved into a new building on the northwest section of the campus. By 1909 the school had an enrollment of 29 and a staff of 16. At that time entering students were not required to have even completed high school.

In September, 1913, Willamette’s Medical school merged with that of the University of Oregon and the 40 students from Salem transferred to Oregon’s campus located in northwest Portland. In 1919 the school relocated to Marquam Hill in southwest Portland where the school still stands as Oregon Health & Science University.

Extent

1 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Overview

This collection contains copies of the Medical Department catalogues and copies of the medical journal, Oregon Medical & Surgical Reporter. Also included are faculty meeting correspondence and annual reports of the Medical Department.

Arrangement

Items are arranged in chronological order.

This collection is organized into four series: I. Publications; II. Reports; III. Faculty records; and IV. Photographs.

Physical Location

Mark O. Hatfield Library
Title
Guide to the Willamette University Medical Department records, 1863-1910
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid processed by Rose Marie Walter.
Date
© 2014
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Willamette University Archives and Special Collections Collection Descriptions

Contact:
Mark O. Hatfield Library
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 United States